top of page

Catholic Daily Quotes

Public·13 members

August Lazarev
August Lazarev

Whitney Houston - One Moment In Time (Lyrics)

The song's melody was inspired by the timeless figure of Elvis Presley, with Hammond imagining it as being sung by Presley at the opening of the Olympics. It appeared on the album 1988 Summer Olympics Album: One Moment in Time, produced in conjunction with NBC Sports' coverage of the Seoul Olympic Games and which, in addition to Whitney Houston who sang it live at the main ceremony, also featured artists such as: The Four Tops, The Bee Gees, Eric Carmen, Taylor Dayne and the film composer John Williams. The track is an anthem for believing in yourself against all odds as Houston asks for "One moment in time/when I'm racing with destiny/Then, in that one moment of time, I will feel eternity."

Whitney Houston - One Moment In Time (Lyrics)

See, I have this playlist in my iTunes called "Fempowermallads," which is my clever (read: not actually clever) portmanteau for "female empowerment ballads," songs generally sung by grown, intelligent women with crazy powerful vocals about any and all of the following subjects: Living in the moment, embracing the unknown, shaking off haters, transcendence, overcoming obstacles, and being your best. It's a playlist that's seen me through some tough times -- times of heartache, grief, self doubt, and even "Pretty Little Liars" going on hiatus. The core of this playlist will always be Whitney's flawless "One Moment In Time," a stunning ballad with chillingly perfect vocals that never fails to pull me from my pity party.

But the simplicity of the verses are matched by a surprisingly wordy chorus: "I want one moment in time/Where I'm more than I thought I could be/When all of my dreams are a heartbeat away/And the answers are all up to me." Looking back, Whitney was looking forward to a better day, one more triumphant than the present. But she wants to take back the locus of control, holding the reins on her own future. "Give me one moment in time/Where I'm racing with destiny/Then in that one moment in time/I will feel, I will feel/Eternity," she sings. The lovely image of "racing with destiny" makes the message of the song even more about transcending humanity and attaining a moment of nearly superlatively supernatural excellence. This makes sense given that the purpose of the song was largely to inspire athletes in the Olympic Games. But in the wake of her death, the lyrics are rendered more poignant than ever. For the first time, she's no longer racing with destiny.

Because even though Whitney's later years saw the once-untouchable star facing personal struggles that tarnished her public credibility, she did have that moment in time -- over and over again. When "One Moment In Time" was released, her most enormous cultural moment had yet to arrive (that would come a few years later, with the release of The Bodyguard soundtrack and larger-than-life smashes such as "I Will Always Love You" and "I Have Nothing"). But that single, isolated moment in time is one she achieved with her impact on the world of music, if not on the world, period. 041b061a72

About

Welcome to the group! You can connect with other members, ge...

Adresse :  73 impasse déf. Delmas - Port-au-prince  |  E-mail : partiprovidence@gmail.com

Téléphone Port-au-Prince : (+509) 33 87 97 01

• PROVIDENCE
2021 Providence © Copyright
bottom of page